It is thought that working with clay like material, kaolin or white stone, has been practiced in Alcobaça since the Neolithic period.
Polychrome clay sculptures, created by monks, appeared during the construction of the Alcobaça Monastery and in the 18th century the first pieces appeared with the word "Alcobaça" inscribed in the middle.
Later, in 1875, a ceramic factory was founded by José dos Reis, an artisan from Coimbra.
Today, the ceramics of Alcobaça display drawings of flowers, sayings and also landscapes. The word "Alcobaça" is not always present and the designs can be quite colorful and in shades of blue and green.